Sign up for news alerts.

We update our financial wellbeing resources regularly to help people build their financial literacy. If you would like to be notified of these updates please submit your email address below, you can opt out whenever it suits you.

Square icon-style image overlaid on the hero banner

Do Unividual provide tax advice?

This is probably one of our clients’ most commonly asked questions. We do provide a wide range of taxation advice and tax planning to ensure we make the most of your money. However, we are not accountants and are unable to advise you on your personal or business tax returns.
Contact our investment & tax planning experts

The difference between accounting and tax advice

We often use an analogy of a car to explain the services that we offer. An accountant is your rear-view mirror, reviewing what is behind you and how best to deal with it. A financial planner is the windscreen; we look up the road to the future and plan how to get you to where you want to go. In practical terms, your accountant will administer your tax affairs, such as helping you complete tax returns. Your financial planner will provide tax advice and help to mitigate your tax position moving forward, through suitable tax efficient strategies. In real life, the best service you can get is when your accountant and financial planner work closely to ensure the road behind and the journey ahead are as smooth as possible, something we pride ourselves on when giving personal tax advice.

Start planning your tax mitigation with us

What about tax mitigation?

There are many areas of taxation we can help mitigate, some you might be aware of and others you might not. In broad strokes, there are numerous taxes, reliefs and allowances to consider across income, capital gains and inheritance tax, as well as the internal taxes on your investments that you may not even know you are paying. Annual tax allowances help you reduce or eliminate your tax bill. Using these and other government backed investments within your tax planning strategy,  we will ensure we mitigate as much tax as possible to help you make the most of your money for yourself and your family. Tax is a complex area of financial planning and legislation is constantly changing, especially in and around capital gains and income tax. Whether you are having an overhaul on all your finances or just focusing on one area like retirement, your financial adviser will give you personal income and capital gains tax advice to ensure that no more tax is paid than is necessary.

Linking wealth and tax planning

From pension planning through to investments, your financial adviser will look to utilise opportunities that maximise the potential returns you can obtain. Our aim with tax planning is to make the most of every penny you are or have worked hard to save, by spreading your investments across a suitable range of tax wrappers. This will help to legally and legitimately reduce your tax liabilities, but it will also help you keep as much of your returns as possible. Combining the importance of investment performance with tax efficiency will drive your potential returns, within your attitude to risk, towards your investment goals.

The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate tax planning.

Tax-efficient investments

When it comes to investing there are some options that have tax benefits. Tax wrappers such as ISAs (Individual Savings Accounts) and Junior ISAs offer a way to save without capital gains tax and don’t have income tax on any dividends. Enterprise Investment Schemes and Venture Capital Trusts are government backed investments that provide a way to invest in new start-up businesses. This encourages investors to provide businesses with that much-needed funding whilst receiving significant benefits including income tax relief of up to 30% on the investment along with capital gains and inheritance tax benefits. Our Chartered Financial Planners have the depth of knowledge to provide tax advice on all these areas of investment including ethical investing. To discuss how you can benefit please contact us.

Ask our advisers about tax planning

Maximise your wealth, minimise your taxes! Reach out for expert financial advice today.

    Enterprise Investment Schemes (EIS) & Venture Capital Schemes (VCT) invest in assets that are high risk and can be difficult to sell.

    The value of the investment and the income from it can fall as well as rise and investors may not get back what they originally invested, even taking into account the tax benefits.

    Get in touch

    The information collected will be used solely for the purposes of providing background information when contacting you to arrange an appointment.